The maiden financing backing one of the first six highway public-private partnerships in Argentina is set to close. Many groups are helping to get the job done. By Nic Stone.
The European Investment Bank (EIB) has signed three financing agreements totalling US$229m to support infrastructure across a range of sectors in Argentina.
Local infrastructure investor Sigma Fondo de Inversion en Infraestructura (Sigma) has closed a US$250m acquisition financing and refinancing on a portfolio of operation wind farms.
South Korean company Daelim Energy has purchased a series of solar power projects across Chile from Spain’s Grenergy Renovables.
The US Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) has signed six letters of interest to advance several projects in Argentina. The agreements total US$813m.
Latin American development bank CAF has approved a series of loans totalling US$516m backing infrastructure works across Brazil.
Argentine energy company YPF and Malaysia’s Petronas have penned a US$2.3bn agreement to invest in the La Amarga Chica shale oil project in Neuquén province. The block is part of the massive Vaca Muerta shale play.
MSU Energy has closed a US$250m private placement backing the expansion and conversion to combined cycle of its three power plants, which will increase total installed capacity by 300MW to 750MW.
Mexican company GIA has closed a US$370m, seven-year financing backing the Salvador geriatrics hospital in capital Santiago.
The European Investment Bank (EIB) is looking to provide a US$52m loan to provincial energy group Jujuy State Energy & Mining Society (JEMSE) backing a set of 15 small-scale solar projects in the province.
Sumitomo Metal Mining (SMM) and Sumitomo Corporation (SC) are to buy a 30% interest in Teck Resources’ Compañia Minera Teck Quebrada Blanca SA project company, which owns the US$4.739bn Quebrada Blanca Phase 2 (QB2) copper mine project.
France’s EDF through its Brazilian subsidiary has signed a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA) for 33MW of wind generation with manufacturing company Braskem.
Canadian company Capstone Mining is looking to sell a stake in its 70%-owned Santo Domingo copper-iron project about 50km from Codelco’s El Salvador project. Korea Resources Corporation (KORES) owns the remaining 30%.
China and Argentina are set to sign a cooperation agreement for the US$8bn Atucha III nuclear power project. China is expected to lend Argentina US$6.5bn for the project, to be repaid in 20 years, with eight years of grace, and priced at 4.5%.
Uruguay’s Court of Auditors has given the go-ahead to the Ministry of Transport & Public Works (MTOP) to award the Ferrocarril Central railway public-private partnership project to the Via Central consortium.
Scatec Solar, Equinor and Apodi Par’s 162MW Apodi Solar project in Ceara has connected to the grid and entered commercial operation.
The Mendoza regional government has said that the 210MW Portezuelo del Viento hydro scheme planned for the Colorado River is environmentally feasible and would improve conditions in the basin.
Brazil’s Odebrecht has landed approval from the Justice Ministry to sell the 456MW Chaglla run-of-river hydro project to a consortium led by China Three Gorges (CTG), according to the ministry.
IVN Metals has announced a positive feasibility study for its Loma Larga gold-copper-silver project in southern Ecuador, allowing it to pursue financing discussions.
The Jujuy State Energy & Mining Society (JEMSE) has signed a framework with Power China and Shanghai Electric for the expansion of the Cauchari solar project by 200MW to 500MW and the addition of battery storage.
AES Corp’s local affiliate AES Tiete Energia has made a binding proposal for the acquisition of Renova Energia’s Alto Sertao III wind project plus a 1.1GW pipeline of projects.